Monday, July 12, 2010

Pie, Chocolate Cake, and Vanilla Cookies Coming Up


All my talk of pie from Friday made me crave it, so I made a lemon pie Friday night, and we ate it for dessert Friday, and then breakfast over the weekend.




Then, because I wanted to put off cleaning the bathroom, I decided to make my first-ever layered cake. I chose the Chocolate Fudge Cake from Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites, which is one of my favorite cookbooks from my favorite cookbook author. It was a good first-ever layered cake - not too difficult, since it was only two cakes, one layer of chocolate frosting, and the whole thing was covered in the same chocolate frosting. I finished it at 10:30 on Sunday evening, and we cut slices as soon as it was frosted so that we could go to sleep as soon as we ate it (not the best plan for our digestive systems, but so be it). The rest of it came to work today, and it's been suggested that I need to add a layer of raspberries to take it over the edge, which, along with the Cointreau I plan on drenching the cake with next time, would be perfect.

I seem to be less liberal with my frosting application than Nigella, as I have about a cup of frosting left. I was mulling over what to do with it (other than stand at the fridge and stealthily eat it out of the Tupperware container with my finger) and decided that it should be sandwiched between vanilla cookies like a backwards Oreo. So that's on the horizon for later this week.

(Yes, I know my baking has revolved around sweets lately, so I'm planning some savory items, and will post those soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An ex-acquisitions editor at a publishing company making the great move from the corporate world to small business ownership. More specifically, a small bakery specializing in savory foods. Heading to culinary school, working on a business plan, shoring up the courage to do it, and looking for ideas, inspiration, and advice!