Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Flavor Combinations

At work a couple of days ago, I was thinking about pie (because that's what I do) and I thought a peach/blueberry pie that had fresh mint and lime as its "spices" (instead of the more traditional cinnamon/nutmeg combo) would be nice and refreshing. I jotted my idea down on a post-it and stuck it to a friend's computer for her opinion. She suggested also adding ginger, which I don't generally cook with, but which she thought was a good flavor to match with lime and mint. So I gave it a try.

Since this was something I was just experimenting with, I had no clue how much of anything to put in - and since I don't cook with ginger but am generally turned off by too much of it in a dish, I erred on the side of a lot of mint and lime, and not so much ginger.

I took the pie to work the next day and asked for constructive criticism. I received a few suggestions to lessen the amount of mint (apparently not everyone loves it as much as I do), and a suggestion to perhaps add the ginger to the crust so it stood out a bit more, but everyone generally liked it and thought it was such an interesting and refreshing combination. I felt so proud!

Later that day, I had a nice long phone call with my oldest friend - we've been friends since the 7th grade, and although she lives far away and we only see each other every other year or so, we do a pretty good job of keeping in touch. She and I have been playing phone tag for the last three months, until finally I emailed her and asked if she would be available at 8pm her time for a chat. She was, and we talked for more than two hours. I told her all about my thoughts for the bakery, and was very grateful for her advice and suggestions, as she's a small business owner herself.

As we were winding down, we started talking about lunches we had when we were in high school together. She laughed as she reminded me how I used to take my sandwiches apart, so I could taste each individual ingredient - and then laughed harder as she remembered how I once created an interesting flavor combination during one of our lunches.

My dad made my lunch every day when I was in school, and he would generally make this sandwich that included the thickest slice of sharp cheddar cheese I have ever seen in a sandwich. Take out a ruler and measure half an inch - that's how thick these cheese slices were! On this particular day, I had taken apart my sandwich and just couldn't get through the cheese. I also had a Caramello chocolate bar (it's the one that's four squares of gooey caramel). We don't remember who suggested it or why I did it, but I took a hunk of cheese and a square of Caramello and popped them both into my mouth to see how they would taste together. And, surprisingly, the combination worked! The sweetness of the chocolate and carmel was perfectly matched by the sharp saltiness of the cheese, and I believe I ate the rest of the chocolate and cheese together.

All of this got me wondering - what are your favorite, perhaps unusual, flavor combinations?

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it's unusual, but I love maple syrup on my breakfast sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After thinking a bit, I remembered an unusual combo that I don't crave or want to eat every week, but I do like it on a hot summer day - fennel and grapefruit. Toss chunks of the the white/base part of the fennel with chunks of grapefruit and serve cold; I don't remember if I've ever dressed it or not. And I know it's unusual or at least unpopular because I made it for a party once and most people didn't finish their portion of it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mona - that is awesome, because I just made a fennel, orange, and mint salad and I couldn't get enough! Jeremy said that was his favorite part of the meal we ate that night. Perhaps the grapefruit was a bit too tart? I like the sweetness of the orange with the fennel - perhaps that would get a better result at your next party!

    Evan - I'm going to be working on a breakfast sausage and syrup something-or-other, and will make sure you get to taste and give suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate and salt. Or caramel and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanilla Ice cream stuffed cantalope and a side of good -N-plenty

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
An ex-acquisitions editor at a publishing company making the great move from the corporate world to small business ownership. More specifically, a small bakery specializing in savory foods. Heading to culinary school, working on a business plan, shoring up the courage to do it, and looking for ideas, inspiration, and advice!