Monday, October 25, 2010

Dénouement

I've been MIA the past couple of weeks, feeling very unsure about what to write. If my life was a series of mini-novels, my resignation would have been the climax of this particular novella. From Wikipedia:
The third act is that of the climax, or turning point, which marks a change, for the better or the worse, in the protagonist’s affairs. If the story is a comedy, things will have gone badly for the protagonist up to this point; now, the tide, so to speak, will turn, and things will begin to go well for him or her. If the story is a tragedy, the opposite state of affairs will ensue, with things going from good to bad for the protagonist.

After the climax, you have the falling action and then, the dénouement which
comprises events between the falling action and the actual end of the drama or narrative and thus serves as the conclusion of the story. Conflicts are resolved, creating normality for the characters and a sense of catharsis, or release of tension and anxiety, for the reader.

A good writer doesn't spend a lot of time on a dénouement - at that point, the story is pretty much over. And that's exactly how I felt after my resignation went live. For a few days after, I felt exhausted and slept a lot more than usual. I visited my chiropractor, who was astounded at how bad my back was, and attributed my imbalance to the stress of the previous few weeks, before trying to massage it away. I baked for a few parties, started to plan my pies for a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving party we're throwing in early November, and put together the lesson plan for my second cooking class.

I very much feel as though I'm returning to normal, but normal feels a little weird! At some point, all of the frustration, anger, and stress began to feel like normal. Now that it's all disappearing, I don't really want to talk about it anymore, especially not with the passion and fervor that I had before. Now, it's just something that happened and it's moving-on time. This particular story is over.

On to the next! I'll get my appointment to register for classes in a couple of weeks, and will be looking forward to that. I also have a series of professional baking classes in mid-November that I'm very excited about. Tomorrow, I'll be teaching that cooking class, and I'll post some recipes from that later this week. I imagine this blog will be shifting to focus more on food, school, and future buisness opportunities, and much less on PubCo, as my focus begins to shift in real life.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see recipe-wise? Any parties you're obligated to bring food to and need some suggestions? I hope you feel free to send a note or a question any time you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An ex-acquisitions editor at a publishing company making the great move from the corporate world to small business ownership. More specifically, a small bakery specializing in savory foods. Heading to culinary school, working on a business plan, shoring up the courage to do it, and looking for ideas, inspiration, and advice!