Monday, November 8, 2010

Support Systems

I've really been amazed at the amount of support people have been giving me when I tell them about my future culinary-related goals. Everyone, almost without fail, has said that my plans make perfect sense for my personality, my passion, and my values. I've heard a lot of compliments about my skills in the kitchen, along with "well, you like to make sure people are happy and satisfied, so now you can do that with food'. A few (perhaps more business-savvy) people have noted that I'm organized, plan well, and have developed good marketing and promotional skills at PubCo to draw on for a new business venture. If you know me, you know I love being complimented - so I love hearing all this!

The support is coming in more tangible ways as well. My sister has come with me to do some bakery research, and sends articles and links to other bakeries we should visit. One friend is brainstorming bakery names, another offers advice as a business owner herself, other friends take photos (and videos during cooking classes - ugh), and still others have offered to assist with marketing, wrapping, and even delivering my baked goods. Even my parents, who I thought might be a little nervous for my and Mountain Man's future, have been exceptionally supportive - buying a book on Lebanese baked goods for me, helping me figure out recipes, and offering suggestions and ideas for my potential future bakery.

I do have one person to win over. Already risk-averse, my mother-in-law seems quite concerned that I will ruin us with my new endeavor. OK, that may be a bit dramatic, but at dinner yesterday, she spent more than a few minutes telling me about bakeries and restaurants she knew of that had failed and neighbors that had started a restaurant and had to work constantly to make ends meet - and even with all that hard work, that restaurant folded as well. She also let me know that she was the only person in her Bible study that brought treats from a "real" bakery - the other members of the group bring things they either make themselves or that come from Costco. She prefaced all of this by saying "I don't mean to scare you..."

The funny thing is that those stories just fueled my desire to open my bakery and do a kickass job at it. I don't do well with people telling me something will be difficult or impossible - comments like that make me want to prove them wrong. So in a weird little way, I'm getting support from my mom-in-law as well. And much of her concern is just risk-related, not me-related.

But along with wanting to prove people wrong who think things will be difficult, I also know I would be a lot more hesitant to move forward if I didn't feel that my support system really supported me. The response has been so whole-heartedly positive that it makes me more confident that I can be successful.

I heard a great quote on a random PBS show a few weeks ago that went something like "All you have to do is redefine success." I think success can certainly come with money and prestige and being able to get everything you desire. But I think that success has everything to do with working hard, planning well, getting honest and solid market feedback, taking a risk at something you love, feeling confident that you've done everything you can to be successful, and knowing that the people you love and respect are behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An ex-acquisitions editor at a publishing company making the great move from the corporate world to small business ownership. More specifically, a small bakery specializing in savory foods. Heading to culinary school, working on a business plan, shoring up the courage to do it, and looking for ideas, inspiration, and advice!